Thursday, December 20, 2012

Day 31: Jazz


Tuesday, June 12, 2012 

We have now started coming up with ideas for our final projects in the fibers studio. I still have no idea what I'll be doing - something based on Tyn Church, perhaps. 

What this means, though, is that the end is in sight. I'm not sure how to feel about that - I'm looking forward to going home, but I wish I could do that and stay here for another few months at the same time… 

The ATM told me last night that my account has insufficient funds, so I will be living off of my remaining traveler's cheques for a while. 

Tonight: Jazz Club! 

This was another of the musical performances included in the trip. After dark, we walked across several blocks and down a set of neon-lit stairs to a long underground room filled with chairs, tables, and portraits of famous jazz musicians. This is an entire club, apparently, devoted to jazz. Unfortunately, the lighting was far too dim for photography. 

The musicians tonight were the František Kop Quartet: piano, saxophone, drums, and electric bass. All four men were extremely talented, and large parts of the performance consisted of one of the four showing off his ability to do dizzying musical pyrotechnics with any given theme. They shared the spotlight fairly equally. They played several of their own original compositions, as well as a beautiful piece called "Sleepwalking Girl." (I went up and asked the title afterward.) It was a lovely way to spend the evening. 

There's a video of the quartet here, playing three years ago in the same place. The stage looks much the same. 

No comments:

Post a Comment